Self help & advice
Anybody can become a victim of a pest infestation, regardless of the cleanliness of their
property. With our handy tips, we can help you protect your home or business from these unwelcome guests.
1) Effective waste management. Ensure refuse sacks are contained within sealed
containers with lids secured. Leaving refuse sacks in the open will attract pests,
especially rats and foxes.
2) Ensure food stores are secured. Cupboards, fridges and pantries are a great dining room
for pests. Ensure that your fridge/cupboard doors close fully and check for any holes
and repair where required.
3) Seal cracks/holes on outside of property including utility entry points.
4) Keep shrubbery and tree branches trimmed well away from property, especially the
5) Repair any rotted roof beams, and facia – insects are attracted to rotten wood.
6) Eliminate Clutter. All pests prefer to be hidden, therefore any clutter (old magazines,
piled clothing, sacks etc.) is a potential harbourage opportunity. Eliminate and store
7) Sanitation. Ensure any spilled food/liquids are cleaned and disinfected. Many pests rely
on their sense of smell; therefore spilt food/drink is a homing beacon for pests.
8) Close entry methods. Ensuring windows/doors are kept closed when not in use, this will
aid in preventing flies and other insects from gaining access to your property.
9) Clean up bird feeders. Bird feeders are an extremely common food source for birds, and
rats, mice, squirrels, ants, cockroaches, flies, foxes, and many more.
10) If you believe you may have an infestation, call IEP Pest control. It is always best to contact a professional as they will be able to assess the level of infestation, identify the correct species and provide you with the support you need.
Call us now ! 01404 891842 or 07446851666